Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Greatest Oppression
























I finished reading Native Son, by Richard Wright, today.


Although the ideas and people I lived in through his words for the past two days are still near enough for my thoughts to turn to and explore further, it makes me sad because now that I have read his three major works, I don't know where to turn to satiate this desire to read.

Anyways, rather than go into how much Richard Wright was a fighter, seeker, artist, genius who kept it real and most of all was constantly, brutally honest in his explorations, and uncannily perceptive in his observations of MAN (that large M Man that includes ALL.OF.HUMANITIES Universal Emotions, Desires, Motives, Yearnings) ... (I just highly highly highly recommend reading his works, esp Black Boy & The Outsider) I just wanted to share a line from Native Son that most struck me:

"Remember that men can starve from a lack of self-realization as much as they can from a lack of bread!"

I kept pairing that line in my head with this line from Baha'u'llah, where in the Kitab-I-Iqan (Book of Certitude) he writes:

"What "oppression" is more grievous than that a soul seeking the truth, and wishing to attain unto the knowledge of God, should know not where to go for it and from whom to seek it?"

1 comment:

Shirin said...

Great observation there with that parallel between the two quotes